Is Back Pain Bothering You?
Self-Care: How to Manage Back Pain
Are you one of the millions of Americans that suffer from back pain as a result of weight, old injury, or chronic ailment? If so, in addition to consulting with your doctor to address contributing factors, there are several things you can do in the meantime to help alleviate the pain.
- Maintain activity as tolerated: if there has to be an initial period of bed rest due to severe symptoms, return back to normal activity as soon as able.
Invest in a Heating Pad.
- Use low heat on the affected area for 20 minutes followed by gentle stretching as tolerated
Find New Ways to Move.
- Exercise therapy is recommended, safe, readily available, helps to alleviate pain symptoms, and improve function
- Specific stabilization exercises
- Core strengthening
- Flexion/extension movements
- General physical fitness
- Aerobic exercise
- Tai Chi
- Functional restoration programs
Seek Alternative Treatments
- Psychological and mind-body therapies individually or in combination with supervised exercise programs
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR)
- Progressive relaxation
- Spinal manipulation
Don’t Forget the Essentials
- Pharmacological, over the counter treatments
- Physician-prescribed muscle relaxants