The 4 Most Popular Weight Loss Drugs In 2021
The 4 Most Popular Weight Loss Drugs In 2021: What You Need To Know About GLP-1’s
GLP-1 agonists have grown quickly in popularity amongst weight loss patients. You may know them commonly as Wegovy, Saxenda or Ozempic; among others. Why have these drugs proven successful patients? Here’s how they work:
- GLP -1 stands for “Glucagon-like Peptide 1”, and when naturally produced, it belongs to a family of hormones produced in the gut.
- It acts by:
- Releasing insulin in response to food.
- Decreasing glucagon, keeping your blood sugar in balance.
- Increasing satiety, which allows you to feel full.
- Decreasing gastric motility, slowing food traveling through the digestive tract.
- Protecting pancreatic B cells which produce insulin
- Protects heart function by supporting myocardial electric and mechanical performance
- Increasing moment of glucose to muscle cells.
- Decreases the body’s ability to transform non-carbohydrates into glucose
- Increases cardiac output
- Synthetically made, these medications have a similar effect on the body. They may be taken orally or by self-administered injection. Some of the most commonly prescribed are:
- Trulicity (Dulaglutide)—once a week by injection
- Ozempic (Semaglutide)—once a week by injection
- Wegovy (Semaglutide) – once a week by injection
- Saxenda (Liraglutide) – daily by injection
- Rybelsus (Semaglutide) – taken by mouth once daily
- Side effects and contraindications to be aware of:
- Weakness, Dizziness, Headache
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, or Constipation
- Local injection site reaction
- Not indicated for those with MEN syndrome or medullary carcinoma of thyroid.
Think you may be a candidate for these medications? We’re currently accepting new patients for our weight loss program, and would love to help you reach your goals! Contact us at 317-548-4666 or firstname.lastname@example.org